Actor Satendra Soni, known for his appearance in Laapataa Ladies, has filed a Zero FIR against filmmaker Pushpendra Singh and actor Pragati Chauhan, alleging non-payment of his fees, harassment, intimidation, assault and wrongful confinement during the shooting of Paid Paalki. The allegations are currently under investigation and have not been established in court.
According to Soni's complaint, he was hired for the film at a remuneration of ₹30,000 per day, with the total payment reportedly fixed at ₹3 lakh. He says he received ₹50,000 as an advance, while the remaining amount was supposed to be paid during the shoot. However, Soni alleges that payment problems emerged after filming began in Madhya Pradesh.
Soni Alleges Harassment Over Dwarfism
One of the most serious allegations concerns the treatment Soni says he received because of his dwarfism. The actor has alleged that he was mocked for his appearance and that people at the shooting location picked him up and took photographs with him without his consent.
Soni claims that he complained about the behaviour but felt that his concerns were not adequately addressed. He has further alleged that Pragati Chauhan abused him and refused to clear his pending payment.
The actor also alleged that difficult working conditions added to his distress. His complaint reportedly mentions inadequate facilities, problems with sanitation and food, and long working hours. Soni claimed that he worked for nearly 16 hours on one occasion with only a samosa to eat and that the situation eventually triggered a panic attack.
Allegations of Threats and Assault
Soni has also accused the filmmakers of threatening and assaulting him after he raised questions about his unpaid dues. He alleged that Pushpendra Singh threatened him when he sought payment and told him to leave the hotel.
The actor further claimed that he and fellow actor Shreedhar Dubey decided to leave the project after the dispute escalated. According to Soni's account, the filmmakers allegedly assaulted them and made further threats. These are allegations contained in the complaint and remain subject to police investigation.
Zero FIR Registered in Mumbai
The complaint was registered as a Zero FIR at Oshiwara Police Station in Mumbai on August 20, 2026, according to the All Indian Cine Workers Association (AICWA) and media reports. The reported FIR invokes provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita, including sections concerning voluntarily causing hurt, wrongful confinement, criminal intimidation, intentional insult and common intention.
A Zero FIR allows a police complaint relating to a cognisable offence to be registered even when the incident occurred outside the station's territorial jurisdiction, after which it can be transferred to the appropriate police station.
AICWA Supports Satendra Soni
The All Indian Cine Workers Association (AICWA) has publicly supported Soni and Shreedhar Dubey and called for a fair and transparent investigation. The association has alleged that the dispute involved claims of assault, forced confinement, threats and unpaid dues and has urged authorities to take action if the allegations are proven.
The controversy had already come to public attention in June, when Soni shared emotional videos describing his alleged experience on the film set and claimed that he had not been paid for several days of work.
For now, the case remains under investigation. The FIR represents allegations made by Satendra Soni, and the claims against Pushpendra Singh and Pragati Chauhan will have to be established through the legal process.