Karnataka IAS officer Gyanendra Kumar Gangwar was reported to have gone “missing” after he became unreachable for around two days, triggering concern among state authorities. Gangwar, a 2016-batch Karnataka-cadre IAS officer, was reportedly last traced after travelling from Bengaluru and had been out of contact since August 20.
However, the situation was later clarified by Karnataka Home Minister Priyank Kharge, who said Gangwar had contacted the government and explained that he had travelled urgently to his hometown in Uttar Pradesh because of a family emergency involving his father's health. The minister said the officer had sought leave before travelling but had not been reachable on his official phone, which led to confusion about his whereabouts.
Who Is Gyanendra Kumar Gangwar?
Gyanendra Kumar Gangwar is an IAS officer of the 2016 batch belonging to the Karnataka cadre. He is currently serving as Director, MSME, in Karnataka's Department of Industries and Commerce, according to the latest reports.
Gangwar is a B.Tech graduate from IIT Kanpur and entered the civil services through the UPSC examination. His professional career has included several administrative responsibilities within Karnataka.
His name has recently attracted additional attention because of his earlier association with the Karnataka Public Service Commission (KPSC) and the ongoing controversy surrounding alleged recruitment irregularities.
Why Did Reports Say He Was Missing?
According to officials, Gangwar had been unreachable since August 20. Reports initially said he had booked a flight to Delhi and was last traced at Kempegowda International Airport in Bengaluru. Authorities began checking his movements after his phone and other communication channels could not be used to contact him.
Karnataka Home Minister Priyank Kharge initially confirmed that the government had received information about the officer being unreachable but said no formal missing-person complaint had been filed by his family.
The situation led to speculation because it occurred at a time when Karnataka's KPSC was facing scrutiny over alleged recruitment-related irregularities.
Any Link to the KPSC Controversy?
The timing of Gangwar's reported disappearance generated speculation because the Enforcement Directorate had recently conducted searches linked to the KPSC controversy. Some reports suggested that his earlier association with the commission had raised questions about whether the developments were connected.
However, no official evidence has established a link between Gangwar's temporary absence and the KPSC investigation. The officer has reportedly denied any such connection and indicated that his absence was because of a family emergency.
Therefore, claims linking the two developments should be treated as speculation unless supported by an official investigation.
Officer's Whereabouts Clarified
The biggest development in the case came later on Saturday when Minister Priyank Kharge confirmed that Gangwar had re-established contact with the state government and explained his whereabouts.
The minister said Gangwar had taken leave and travelled urgently to his hometown because of the family situation. This effectively ended the immediate uncertainty surrounding the officer's whereabouts.
The episode highlights how quickly reports about a senior government officer being unreachable can trigger widespread speculation, particularly when they coincide with an ongoing administrative controversy. At present, there is no confirmed evidence that Gangwar's temporary absence was connected to the KPSC probe.